There are five ways of selecting a place leading to the map screen. (1) the map button in the upper right corner of the app, (2) by typing in an address, (3) tapping a place you have saved already in your personal database, (4) from the list of places nearby a place, and (5) from someone in your contacts checking in.
The map button at the top right corner of the screen displays a map of where you are. The My Location button at the bottom left of the scrollable screen performs the same function.
Search By Address
If you know the address, enter it into the new address text box and tap the green marker icon to the right.
|This is a screen capture. Click black bar on right to open working web app.
1. Tap New Address at the top of the Places screen to open the address text box.
2. Type in the street address or landmark name, followed by the city or zipcode.
3. Tap the green globe icon to the right of the text box.
The map screen for the place should appear or you will be notified if the place could not be found.
Select From Personal Database
If the place is in your personal database, find and tap it.
1. Tap All Places at the top left of the scrollable screen.
2. Scroll down until you find the place.
3. Tap the place.
You will tap the icon or the text, depending on whether your screen is set to Edge Swipe or Center Swipe on the Application Settings screen.
Categorizing and Sorting Places
When your database gets large, finding a particular place can get tricky. You can categorize places, which narrows down the number of places you need to scroll through on the screen. You can categorize a place on the Edit screen from the map page.
You can also sort the list 4 different ways, up or down using the Sort By buttons: (1) by name alphabetically, (2) by the last time you visited the place (checked-in), (3) the last time you looked at the map screen for the place, and (4) how far away the place is from your current location. Tapping a sort button a second time reverses the order, either from lower to higher or vice versa.
Select From Places Nearby
When looking at Places Nearby, tap a place you’re interested in to open the record. Then tap the map icon button on the right.
1. Tap Places Nearby at the top right of the scrollable screen.
2. Scroll down below the name and the list of places nearby should appear above the map.
3. Tap on the place to open the record.
A Google Place record will contain the address, phone number and a link to the Google Place page.
A Yelp record will contain 3 sample reviews and links to more reviews and the Yelp mobile place page.
In this example, the records for the first and third place have been opened.
4. Tap the Map icon on the right and the Map page will appear.
First make sure that places nearby from Google, Yelp and your personal database are enabled. Then make sure your search covers a wide enough radius.
To enable all three places databases and increase the search radius to 2 miles,
- Tap on the Settings button at the bottom,
- Tap Application Settings at the top,
- Tap Show My Places ON to show nearby places in your places database,
- Tap Show Google Places ON to show nearby Google Places,
- Select Establishment for the Google Place Type (as most all places are establishments),
- Tap Show Yelp Places ON to show nearby Yelp places,
- Select (All) for the Yelp Category,
- Scroll down and under Distance Thresholds, increase Places nearby are within to 3200 meters (2 miles),
- Tap off the Settings button at the bottom to return to the map screen
- Tap Places Nearby off and back on and places from all three databases within 2 miles should appear
Select From Contact Check-In
Your Contacts screen indicates whether any of your contacts have checked in. Check-ins are indicated by the visible message (in red) along with the address, distance from you and check-out time. Tapping the contact opens the record. Tap the address again to reach the map screen.
1. Tap Contacts at the bottom to display the contacts screen.
2. Tap the Just Check-Ins button. If no one you know is nearby and has checked in, the Just Check-Ins button will not be present.
3. Tap the address to open the contact record.
4. Tap the address again and the map screen showing the contact’s location will appear.